The Department of Anthropology only has fall admissions:
- Early Admission and Scholarship Deadline for Fall 2016: February 1
To be considered for scholarships and/or early admission, all application materials must be submitted by this deadline. If the entire application is not received by this deadline, your application will be considered with the late admission applicants.
- Late Admission Deadline for Fall 2016: April 13
We strongly encourage you to apply by the early deadline, especially if you are applying to the online program.
In order to be accepted into the UNT Master’s Program in Applied Anthropology, applicants must submit two separate applications. This page provides an overview; for more detail, see our step-by-step Application Checklist.
1. Application to the Toulouse Graduate School
Applicants must apply to and be accepted by UNT's Toulouse Graduate School. Applicants typically have a 3.0 GPA or higher on the last 60 undergraduate semester hours from their bachelor’s degree, or at least a 3.4 on a completed master’s degree. Applicants with lower GPAs may be considered by an individual review for provisional admission.
Applicants should send all required documentation directly to the Toulouse Graduate School.
- Toulouse Graduate School application form
- Application fee
- Transcripts from all previous college work
- GRE scores ( GRE must have been taken within the last 6 years)
International applicants must apply through the International Studies Office rather than the Toulouse Graduate School. Please review the International Studies Office website for more information about degree equivalencies, English requirements, and the application process. Apply early to allow for extra time for the processing of this paperwork.
2. Application to the Department of Anthropology
In addition, applicants must also apply to and be accepted by the Department of Anthropology. Applicants should send all required documentation directly to the Department of Anthropology.
Please do not send transcripts to the Department of Anthropology. This slows down the application process. The Toulouse Graduate School will forward the transcripts to the department when they have been processed.
The Department of Anthropology reviews all applications together, approximately one month after each application deadline. This is because applicants must be accepted by the Toulouse Graduate School BEFORE their application can be reviewed by the Department of Anthropology. The Toulouse Graduate School takes approximately 1 month to make decisions. You will receive an admissions letter shortly after the admissions committee meets.
Notice for online applicants: Each year we have far greater numbers of applicants than spots in our online program. If you are applying to the online program but could do the on-campus program, please note that on your application to the department.
Additional Requirements and Information
- The applicant must hold the bachelor's degree from an accredited U.S. institution or equivalent training at a foreign university.
- Applicants must have adequate subject preparation in anthropology. If an applicant has fewer than 12 hours of anthropology, s/he must take a prerequisite leveling course the summer before the first year of study, ANTH 5000. If you need this prerequisite, you should apply for the SUMMER term rather than Fall. This is particularly important for your Toulouse Graduate School application.
- Core classes in the master's of applied anthropology program are restricted for majors in our program.
- Any other classes that are taken as a non-degree seeking student are not guaranteed to apply towards a degree plan should the student get accepted into the applied anthropology program. A major's degree plan is tailored for each student with their advisor (chosen during the 2nd semester in the program). For this reason, the general graduate advisor is unable to approve any electives for non-degree seeking students.
Questions? Please review our Question and Answer page. If you still have questions, contact the Programs Coordinator, Nicole Brown, at email@example.com