Recognizing that each student is unique, with different interests and career goals, each application is reviewed on its own merit. Because the interdisciplinary nature of the profession attracts people with diverse backgrounds, students are encouraged to discuss their interests and concerns with an advisor from the department. Students must be admitted to the university in order to be accepted in the BSIS program.
To enroll in more than 6 hours of courses in the department, students must have the following:
- At least sophomore standing
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5.
For graduation, candidates to the Bachelor of Science with a major in information science must meet the following requirements:
- A student must have completed a minimum of 120 semester hours, of which 42 must be upper level.
- See University Core Curriculum Requirements in the Academics section of this catalog for university Core Curriculum requirements.
BSIS Major Requirements
- At least 33 hours including 18 hours of required courses in one of the program concentrations, and at least 15 additional hours selected with the approval of the department.
- Cross Functional - 45 hours may be completed or transferred from related areas and programs as approved by the department. Students must contact an advisor in the information science program to determine the 45 hours of course work needed to complete the cross-functional area of the degree.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.5 is required for all courses counted toward the major.
BSIS Minor Requirements (for non-Information Science majors)
A minor in information science requires a total of 18 semester hours in one of the program concentrations, with 6 hours as seminars and independent study. The minors are available to students from other majors — those not majoring in Information Science.
For UNT enrollment information, click here.
If you would like to contact us about our BSIS concentrations, or would like any additional information about our program, please visit our Contact Information page.