School Library Certification
School Library Certification varies from State to State but completion of the required sequence of courses listed below has been acceptable to meet the course requirements generally in all States.
In Texas, the requirement to work as a School Librarian is as follows:
- Two years as an Early Childhood-12th grade classroom teacher.
- A Master's Degree (in most any area).
- Completion of a state approved program in librarianship (courses taken from the below list must be no more than six years old when application is made for school library certification).
- Passing score on the TExES School Librarianship exam (exam administered by the State).
Note: If you are applying for school library certification along with applying for the Master's degree program, be sure to apply as Teacher Certification/School Librarianship on the ApplyTexas application. Contact email@example.com or 940/565-2445 if you have any questions.
Benefits of this Program
- Earn your School Library Certification online (full-time or part-time)!
- If you already have a Master's degree, you may not be required to take entrance exams even if you have never taken them.
- There are only about 50 ALA accredited programs in the country. If you ever wish to work in a library type other than Early Childhood - 12th grade schools, it usually requires an ALA accredited degree.
Worried that your busy lifestyle will get in the way of making your career goals a reality?
Our online program is the solution.
- Convenient. Earn your School Library Certification (SLC) online!
- Affordable. A 3-hour course costs approximately $1,421.45 for a Texas Resident.
- Flexible. Log in any time and from any place. Online courses allow you to set your own schedule.
- Adaptable. Working full time? Online courses make the most of your valuable time.
- Respected. Every School Library Certification (SLC) and/or Master's student must spend time in a school library under the mentorship of a qualified school librarian.
How does this program advance my career? This program is a perfect fit for:
- In this program, you will receive the necessary foundation for working not just as an Early Childhood - 12th grade librarian, but also any library position requiring ALA accreditation.
- If you wish, you may pursue either the certification alone or you may pursue a Master of Science (General Program of Study) with School Library Certification.
How does it work?
- The School Library Certification requires nine courses (27 hours).
- Online course schedule rotates throughout Fall, Summer, and Spring with many courses offered each semester -- allowing you to easily fit the courses offered to your personal schedule.